Today is Valentine’s Day and I just love, love!!! Life is how you see it, so I wanted to share several ways I share love, in the different seasons of life. Perhaps something will inspire you to bring more love and happiness in yours.
When I was single I hosted a Glanetine’s brunch at my little San Francisco home. For several years we gathered with bubbly, flowers, and yummy brunch dishes. One year I got all the ladies corsage and every year it was a drunken haze after everyone left with my heart feeling full. Even when I had a boyfriend I made sure to leave February 14th brunch window open for my girls. Friends are so important, not only when you are single and need a buddy, but as we change our seasons, grown, and be there for you on life’s journey.
One year I made mimosa wedges!!! It was a lot of work but would love to make these again. I also miss hosting my girlfriends now that my life has changed but might try to fit this back in next year.
I don’t have a lot of guy friends but I did at one time. Another fun option to include everyone is to have a gender-mixed Pajama Party with all your best friends. Play Truth or Dare, watch a movie, play games and maybe even bake cookies or decorate them together.
If you are not able to host a party here are some fun ideas if you want to do something fun with your favorite pals this Valentine’s Day:
- Make a “date night” where the two of you head out to a favorite restaurant and bring along a sentimental gift to mark the friendship celebration.
- Why not do a Couples’ Massage, with your BFFs. Enjoy the luxury of a spa visit with your BFF and you won’t care how bad your hair looks after the massage. You can make a day of it and just relax.
- If massage isn’t for you, do a Mani/Pedi. Choose a fun place that lets you bring a bottle of bubbly and fun treats to share.
- Create an adventure – whether you choose skydiving, a spa, private yoga lesson, hike, or a day/weekend trip to NYC, San Francisco, Seattle or some other great destination for the day. Do something with a friend that you’ve both always wanted to do, but don’t have the courage to do on your own.
- Binge on Netflix and your favorite snacks.
- You could sign up for a class, like one of the paint and wine ones, or the new ones that let you make a terrarium or new personalized sign to hang up.
LADIES WITH A PARTNER
I had a first date on February 12th and when he asked if I wanted to go out again 2 days later for Valentine’s Day I knew he was the one. We went to some local sushi restaurant in San Franciso and we have been together ever since. New relationships are always so much fun.
2 years later, my boyfriend proposed to me on Valentine’s Day in Tahoe CA while on vacation, and it was super special. We snowboarded all day, got massages, and had a nice dinner. The couple next to us got a bottle of champagne to help us celebrate. As a couple, not all valentine’s need to be this extravagant but it really did make me feel special.
Having a new love is so much fun and here are a few fun and exciting things you might want to consider this Valentine’s day with your new love:
- Go shopping for something fun to wear that night. Go bold and see who can top each other with their wild sexy gift.
- Plan a fun day trip or a weekend get-a-way.
- Do something to stretch yourself, dare to do something new, romantic, or wild. Why not, you only live ones and you are in love!!!
- Create something together or go on a tour.
- Create a fun game for your new love. A scavenger hunt, or a blindfold adventure.
- Or be you, and just treat your new love to breakfast in bed, a massage, or a special meal made by you.
Having a partner to spoil is so much fun! Our first year married hubby made me a special dinner at home. He got new fancy serving plates and made my favorite dish, chocolate covered strawberries (along with other stuff). We hung out at home and watched a movie together.
Being married doesn’t mean you don’t go out, but these days I do love staying home. Here are some fun things to do with your old time favorite love:
- Bing on your new favorite show and eat junk food in your new matching PJs.
- Recreate your first date. Maybe you can’t actually go there but you can try your best to redo it at home with the same dishes and maybe music.
- Take a blood test and find out your DNA, or go donate blood and feel good about saving someone’s life.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter or deliver meals. Sharing you care for others is a fun way to build the love for one another.
- Make the love last longer and give your partner a series of dates all year long with a fun membership or already planned dates with gift cards or reservations.
- If you can’t be with each other text them, send them fun videos, or memes to make the day fun and special and plan something at another time.
Having a partner to spoil is so much fun, but having kids to spoil might be more fun! My son is 6 and my daughter is 3 and I love giving them making them a little gift bag to celebrate the day. For my kindergartener, I do a fun valentine’s day bento box lunch with heart cut apples and all. Then at dinner, we do heart-shaped personalized pizzas. It’s a lot of fun making the day special for them.
Some other fun stuff I might do with them one day:
- Dad and daughter date, while mom and son go out too.
- Pamper night at home, with nail painting, face painting, and maybe a fun movie while drinking kids spa water (aka lemonade).
- Do a dance party with music, balloons, and fun snacks.
- Have the kids make valentines for others. I love crafts and this is a kind way to have little ones give back.
- Make a love obstacle course for your little ones. You can have the bag of gifts at the end as the reward.
- Find a bunch or valentine related love books for kids at the library and have a quiet day of love at home with hot cocoa, cookies, and books.
Also never forget to love yourself. Self-care is super important so you can be there for not only yourself but for all the ones you love.
Happy Valentine’s Day and let me know if you have other fun ways to celebrate the season of love. * L